How to Eliminate a Rat Problem From Your Home
The sound of rats scurrying around their home is a nightmare to many folks. Unfortunately, rats can be a problem in many houses for various reasons. They may eat food meant for human consumption, spread disease, and damage property. While rats can be difficult to get rid of once they have taken up residence, homeowners can do a few things to try to prevent them from coming in the first place. And fortunately, there are steps to take once you have seen rats in your home to get them scurrying off for good!
What attracts rats to your home?
There are a few reasons why rats might be attracted to your home.
- One reason could be that there is food available for them to eat. For example, if you have uncovered garbage cans or pet food that is left out, rats will be drawn to it.
- Another possibility is that there is shelter available for them. If your home has any cracks or holes, rats can easily sneak in and make themselves at home.
- Finally, if you have a lot of clutter around your home, it can provide hiding places for rats and make it harder for you to spot them.
How to prevent and eliminate rats from entering your home
If you have rats in your home, getting rid of them is essential. Here are a few tips on how to do that:
- Seal the House: As the weather cools and winter sets in, rats and mice look for warm places to nest. Unfortunately, your home can seem like the perfect spot for these pests. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to seal up your home and keep rats out. One of the most important things you can do is to seal any cracks or holes in your foundation or exterior walls. These animals are very good at squeezing through small spaces, so it’s essential to make sure there are no openings for them to get inside. In addition, be sure to caulk around windows and doors to deter rodents further. You may also want to install door sweeps on all exterior doors.
- Clean Up: Clutter is often considered unsightly, but it can also be dangerous. Rats are attracted to cluttered areas because they offer hiding places and a source of food. In addition to being a nuisance, rats can carry diseases that can harm humans. You can help keep rats away by regularly cleaning up any clutter in your yard and house. This includes removing any piles of leaves, grass, or debris. Keep trash cans clean and sealed, and don’t leave pet food outside. If you have a lot of clutter, consider renting a storage unit to keep things out of your home.
- Try Traps: When it comes to preventing rats from becoming a significant issue, one of the most effective methods is to use traps. Traps allow you to quickly and easily capture rats and prevent them from being able to reproduce and spread throughout your home. Various rat traps are available, so choose one that best suits your needs.
- Cover Up Attractants: In order to eliminate rats, it is vital to take some simple precautions. Covering leftover food and trash cans will help to prevent rats from getting to the food. Additionally, it is important not to leave pet food out. Rats are attracted to pet food and will eat it if they can get to it. Taking these simple steps will help to eliminate rats from your home.
Though there are quite a few things you may try to eliminate rats, if you're dealing with these furry nuisances in your home, the best course of action is to call a pest control company like Environmentally Considered Pest Control. They have the experience and equipment to deal with rats effectively, and they will also be able to advise you on how to prevent rats from returning in the future. Call today!